Monday, May 24, 2010

And the Winner of the Oscar for Best Actor is ...

Barack Obama, for his role in impersonating a Democrat during the 2008 Election! (post title quote directly from my friend, Alan)  The NY Times article that led to this rather acerbic comment, which was also noted by the very taciturn on the matter Jane:


"Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead"


(Image Credit:  Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)


Since the April 20 explosion on the rig, federal regulators have granted at least 19 environmental waivers for gulf drilling projects and at least 17 drilling permits, and of those at least seven permits and five environmental waivers have been issued since Obama decreed the moratorium on offshore drilling projects.

Wow, I am so impressed. I just don't really know what to say about the situation. I guess the first thing to say is that I'll be peeling that Obama sticker off my car when I get home. Damn, I feel hoodwinked these days.

Ken Salazar's office says that they never had any intention of making the moratorium affect projects already *cough* in the pipeline. I mean, they didn't want to stop drilling new wells and all. They just meant no new, new wells. The old new wells, the ones they were planning to approve, like the other Deepwater Horizon types, well, I mean, those are okay. Mostly. I mean, it's true they still have problems with the sequencing of all these deep wells and the cutoff valves still have problems with the design. But, that's no reason to stop drilling for gosh sakes!!!!

Critics say that the moratorium was too narrowly defined to prevent another disaster and stop drilling permits from being issued. Are they suggesting that it was just spin that Obama gave that nice speech on TV about the moratorium?

COLOR ME CRITICAL.

(Image Credit: Getty Images for Scientific American)

1 comment:

  1. As an environmental scientist (marine biologist, marine geologist), I cannot help but feel that if even one creature is saved, then the program is worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete